El Conquistqdor Francisco de Orellana

El Conquistqdor Francisco de Orellana
The Conquistador who put the Amazaon baisn "on the map"....Francisco Orellana

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Overstaying your visa in Ecuador - The Ecuador Insider

3 months, non-renewable.

That's how long you get on a tourist visa when you enter Ecuador with only your American/Canadian/European passport.

And then we're told we can only be in Ecuador for 90 days per year as a tourist.

Truth is, once in Ecuador towards the end of your initial 90 day stay, you can extend your time for 3-6 months with a 12-9 Turismo-Comercio (Tourism-Comerce) Visa paying $230 at any of the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (Ministry of Foreign Relations) Offices throughout Ecuador.

How to get 6 instead of 3 months?

From what I've seen, it helps a lot to show more money (at least $5000) on the print out of your bank account they ask for when applying.  Also, specifically ask for a 6 month extension in the solicitation letter they ask you to write.

Now, what really happens if you OVERSTAY your visa?

Well, I'm not proud of it, but I overstayed my visa last year, in 2010, by 9 months.

When I left I paid the same $250 fine I would have paid if I left one day past my visa expiration.  I was also told I could not re-enter Ecuador for 9 months without getting a visa in a consulate prior to arrival.

I didn't test it.  I came back a few months ago, almost exactly 9 months after I left (I had some things to do in China).

This week, in the immigration office of Guayaquil, a city on the southern coast of Ecuador, I confirmed the rumor was true that as of this year Ecuador has abolished the fine for foreigners overstaying their visas.

No more fine.

Not even a slap on the hand.

Just show up at the airport and CHAO.  

The only sanction is that you can not re-enter for 9 months without getting a visa prior to coming back.

Of course, I recommend staying legal if you can, it just makes life simpler, but the choice is yours now that you know what really happens.

Domenick Buonamici
Entrepreneur, Traveler, General Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment